Most of us homeowners never think about what goes down our drains every day. Bits of grease and food from the dishwasher, hair, soap, and dirt when you take your shower. What else do you let wash down your drains? If you do not clean out your shower and sink drains on a regular basis, especially if you live in an older home; the buildup can wreak havoc and cost you thousands in repair bills. It is important no matter the age of your home to schedule a regular drain cleaning. As a homeowner, you should be scheduling regular drain inspection and cleaning to prevent major damage, not just to your home but also to your wallet.
Benefits Of Regular Drain Cleaning
There are many benefits to having your drains cleaned regularly by a professional plumbing company. They include
- Increasing the lifespan of your drains and minimizing damage
- Removing foul smells by removing trapped food particles and debris
- Removes clogs and increases drainage
- Prevents expensive repair
Regular cleaning will allow your plumber to spot any potential future problems for peace of mind. The last thing you need is a broken pipe or leaking sewer pipe. So when to have your drains cleaned will depend on the size of your home, how often and how much you use your drains. It is a good idea to talk to a plumbing professional and follow their recommendations.
Maintaining And Preventing Clogs After A Professional Cleaning
Once your drains have been professionally cleaned, there are several steps you can take to ensure your drains are kept clear. Preventing your drains from clogging:
- Watch what you put down your sinks, toilets and shower drains.
- Invest in drain grates or screens
- Run hot water down your bathroom drains every week to clear any buildup
- Examine your drain stoppers every week for hair, soap or other buildup
- Run the cold water when you turn on your garbage disposal
- Avoid using any over the counter chemical cleaners as they can cause you more issues with your pipes.
Taking these preventive measures, and maintaining a regular drain cleaning can help prevent major issues. Most plumbers charge a flat rate of $220 to $575. to snake a drain. Any additional issues is about $200 per hour plus the cost of any needed parts. Keep in mind that Leaving your drains unmaintained can result in severe clogs or even a blockage which could lead to damage to your pipes, a decrease in the quality of your water, and can lead to potential health risks including poor water quality, mold, and inhaling sewer gasses.
The professionals at I C Plumbing strive to provide you with expert drain cleaning and repairs if needed and never keep our customers waiting. Satisfaction is our mission and our goal is to allow you to not have to worry about your plumbing problems. Call us for a consultation today and see how we can make your homeownership a bit easier.